The Matthews Opera House opens the world of deception and deceit with the announcement of its Fall Gala Fundraiser “Café Murder.” It will take place 5:00 to 9:30 p.m., Saturday, Oct. 18 at the Spearfish Holiday Inn & Convention Center. Tickets are $65 a person, or $60 per person with the purchase of a table of six. Tickets are available online at www.matthewopera.com or at the Matthews’ art gallery during business hours. Monday-Saturday 10 am to 5 pm, or by phone 605-642-7973. RESERVE SEATS
Community theater will be taking center stage, literally, with the production of “Cafe Murder.” Tables will be in a theater-in-the-round set up, guaranteeing everyone a good seat. Brenna Meyer is directing the play. Guests will witness a murder and try to guess which character did the evil deed.
The Matthews Opera House is going offsite for this year’s Fall Gala in order to help facilitate a larger crowd. “We are fortunate to have a Convention Center in Spearfish that will support a fundraiser for the Matthews Opera House,” says Priscilla Romkema, Head of the Fall Gala committee. “The Holiday Inn in Spearfish has been kind enough to provide a larger space and accommodations for this year’s fundraiser.”
CLICK HERE for play information and cast list.
The event begins with a social hour starting at 5:00 p.m. featuring appetizers, cash bar, and a silent auction. The silent auction consists primarily of art pieces donated by many of The Matthews’ gallery artists and donations from area businesses. The social hour and silent auction bidding will end with the commencement of dinner at 6:30.
Dinner will conclude around 7:30 with the announcement of the winners of the silent auction. Soon after, the evening’s live auction will begin (see below). The Matthews Opera House production will begin shortly after the live auction.
Live Auction Items to date
- Dream Vacation: 7 day condominium stay in Sanibel Island, FL on Coquina Beach, beachside. Sleeps 6.
- Sports Fantasy: 2 tickets to the Nov. 30 Green Bay Packers vs. New England Patriots. 50 yard line seats on Green Bay side IN Green Bay.
- OPA! Greek Food Delight: 5 course gourmet Greek dinner prepared by Dan and Donna Contonis of Spearfish. Appetizers through desserts.
- Eye of the Beholder: Original 30″ x 30″ oil painting depicting the Michelson Trail in Deadwood, “Autumn Path,” by Jayne Rose
- Music Lover Wanted: Several items highlighted with a WAKE UP CALL by the BHSU Drum Line to the person of your choice
- It’s all about Spearfish Canyon: A three night Stay at the Cheyenne Crossing Bed and Breakfast, a Spearfish Canyon Limousine tour, Richard DuBois Spearfish Canyon framed print
You have a choice for dinner
Dinner includes salad, rolls, coffee, and assorted cheesecakes for dessert.
- Sautéed breast of chicken with garlic herb sauce, chef featured vegetables, mashed potatoes,
- Pasta Primavera with chef featured vegetables
The proceeds from this fundraiser go back to The Matthews to fund children’s programming and community outreach. The opera house brings many great performances and events to the community of Spearfish. They also bring musicians, actors, singers, and many other performers to the community. Support by the opera house to the community is evident through activities and fun for the children of the community by teaching them the mechanics of a theater production. The art gallery downstairs shows and sells the work of over 40 Black Hills artists.
Schedule of Events
5:00 p.m.–Doors open (Silent auction starts)
5:30-6:30 p.m.–Social hour, appetizers and cash bar
6:30-7:30 p.m.– Plated dinner is served. See entree choices below.
7:30-8:00 p.m.–Live Auction
8:00-9:00 p.m–“Café Murder”
9:00 p.m.–Closing remarks
Tickets are $65 per person or $60 per person with the purchase of a table of six. There are two entree choices, chicken or vegetarian. When buying your tickets–either online or in person–you will have to give your entree choices.
Tickets are on sale now. Patrons may purchase a place at the table online HERE or by calling or stopping by the art gallery M-Sat, 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.