2018 Festival in the Park: July 20-22, 2018
The Festival in the Park is one of the largest outdoor summer arts and music festivals in the upper Midwest. The non-profit Matthews Opera House & Arts Center of Spearfish, SD, sponsors this popular festival. It serves as THE LARGEST fundraiser for our non-profit organization each year. The proceeds benefit arts outreach and help produce the festival each year.
Over 25,000 people attend the festival, held every third weekend in July. The festival features over 180 fine art and craft vendors with an emphasis on handmade and original products.
Art & Craft Vendors, Live Music, Food
Over 25 food vendors serve eclectic varieties of cuisines that please any appetite. All applications are subject to a juried process to ensure quality, variety, and originality. Free live onstage entertainment from local and regional artists is available daily. For those who want to sit with a cool beverage and listen to music, the “Watering Hole” never fails to please.
Friday, July 20: WRISTBAND NIGHT
- Live music in the Watering Hole until 10 p.m.
This is our FUNDRAISING NIGHT! You can pre-purchase wristbands ($5 per person*) from:
- Spearfish Chamber of Commerce
- Visit Spearfish
- Killian’s Tavern (new)
- Lucky’s 13 (new)
- The Matthews art gallery.
*Children 10 and under are FREE if with PAID adult.
Why should we pay $5 on Friday when we can get in on Sat. & Sun. for free?
- For a very low price, you are supporting the arts in Spearfish.
- You get to PREVIEW & BUY from your favorite vendors a day ahead!
- The Watering Hole is open and will have 2 great musical groups performing from 4 pm to 10 pm. Only folks with wristbands get to enjoy these bands.
- Enjoy the festival in the COOLER evening hours!
Saturday, July 21
Vendors open 9 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Children’s Activities 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Be sure to head over to their booth area right next to the band shell. All activities are free.
Live music in the Watering Hole from 11 a.m to 8 p.m.
Sunday, July 22
- Vendors open 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- NEW IN 2018! 10-11 a.m. HOT ROOM YOGA CLASS by Devon Nelson of Black Hills Hot Room of Spearfish. Bring your mats and water bottles (if you need to) and get some expert yoga instruction. A goodwill DONATION of $5 is requested. Black Hills Hot Room is donating ALL proceeds back to The Matthews.
- Live music in the Watering Hole from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Any questions? Email [email protected].
Friendly reminder: No PETS are allowed on park grounds throughout the event. It is a city ordinance for these 3 days only. In previous years, the festival had pet sitting services for park patrons AND vendors. Unfortunately, the company that provided this service will not be able to do so this year. Just below is a link to a list of pet boarders. Please make plans ahead of time for your pets.
Prairie Hills Transit is providing shuttle service to and from the festival. The shuttle is wheelchair capable.
New for 2018, Prairie Hills Transit will be providing shuttle service to and from the festival. New for 2018, the parking area for this service is the gravel parking lot directly across from Lyle Hare Stadium, the BHSU football field, on St. Joe Street. It will be clearly marked. Prairie Hills Transit will pick up at the BHSU parking lot on the hour and half hour — dropping off at the park 15 minutes later. For instance, BHSU parking lot at 12:00 and 12:30 and drop off at the park 12:15 and 12:45.
2018 Vendor Applications
All fees, deadlines, setup/break down, parking, etc., are listed in DETAIL in both applications. Please read through thoroughly.
ART/ CRAFT VENDORS: 2018 FIP Craft Vendor Application.
FOOD VENDORS: 2018 FIP Food Vendor Application.
Application deadline was March 15, 2018. Look for next year’s applications in the October-November timeframe.