The Matthews art gallery is getting ready to show the art of our Black Hills artists once again. Scroll down to get all the details.
Starting in May
The Matthews art gallery will be exhibiting the work of contracted artists starting May 8, 2018. This marks the return to regular operations after several months of special events in The Gallery space. We are excited to once again display the work of artists who are living or have lived in the Black Hills area.
CALL FOR ARTISTS
Applications are due before 5:00 p.m. MDT on Saturday, April 28, 2018.
Applications may be submitted via email to [email protected]
Looking for Black Hills artists – old and new
This call is open to all artists living in Black Hills area. For our purposes, The Black Hills area includes anywhere within South Dakota or Wyoming — approximately one hundred miles from the Black Hills. If you have questions as to whether or not you fit the geographic criteria, please contact our gallery manager, Kirk Hauck. Our call is open to new artists as well as artists who have previously been contracted into The Gallery.
Through this call, we hope to find forty to fifty artists whose work will be represented in The Gallery. During the jurying process, the Gallery Committee will be assessing applicants based on the quality of work submitted and the needs of The Gallery in terms of aesthetic balance and diversity.
Artists are invited to submit an email application to our gallery manager, Kirk Hauck, including the following information:
- Full name
- Mailing address
- All phone numbers we may use to contact you
- Valid email
- Website address (if the artist has one)
- Facebook or other social media accounts used professionally by the artist are also acceptable
- Three JPEG images, each under 5MB, of works you hope to exhibit in The Gallery
- The title, price, and medium of each of the works represented in the JPEG images. Please include whether the work is an original, limited edition print, etc.
- A brief artist statement. It shouldn’t be longer than 250 words.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications without all the above-listed information (minus a website) will be considered incomplete. Incomplete applications will receive one email response requesting the missing information. If the requested information is not received by 5:00 p.m. MDT on Saturday, Apr. 28, the application will not be considered for the gallery.
Artists may also deliver up to three physical pieces if they believe digital images do not adequately represent their work. This will not take the place of the three JPEG images required in the email application. Those artists delivering physical work will not be favored over artists who only submit digital images.
Jurying will take place on Tuesday, May 1, by the Gallery Committee. All artists who have applied will be notified on Wednesday, May 2, via email by our gallery manager, Kirk Hauck, regarding the committee’s decision.
More Important details…
All artists accepted into The Gallery will be required to
- Sign a contract
- Submit a W9
- Submit an artist biography to be displayed along with the work
- Submit images to be used on The Matthews website and social media
- Fulfill an artist obligation of either a $50 donation or a donation of the artist’s work valued at $150 to be sold in The Gallery or for fundraising events.
All sales of the artist’s work in The Gallery are commissionable, with The Gallery retaining 35% of revenue in sales.
Any and all questions regarding the application, jurying process, contract (link below), or other questions pertaining to the call may be submitted to Kirk Hauck, gallery manager, via phone or email.
Patron Services & Gallery Manager
Phone: (605) 642-7973 ext. 0
Email: [email protected]