CALL FOR COMMISSIONED ARTIST PROPOSALS

December 22, 2020

Proposals are due before 5:00 p.m. MDT on Thursday, January 28th, 2021.

Proposals may be submitted via email to [email protected]

The Matthews Opera House and Arts Center gallery is calling for proposals from Black Hills artists to create commissioned artwork for our Big Read 2021 program. Our gallery will be exhibiting the work of selected commissioned artists starting March 5, 2021. 

What Are We Looking For?

The art must symbolize the themes, spirit, or storyline of the novel “A Wizard of Earthsea” by Ursula K. Le Guin. Two small to medium-sized works or one large work is requested from each artist. Artists will be asked to explain their artwork idea and how it connects to the novel in their proposal. All mediums will be considered. 

Who is Eligible to Apply?

This call for proposals is open to all artists living in the Black Hills area. For our purposes, The Black Hills area includes anywhere within South Dakota or Wyoming — approximately one hundred miles from the Black Hills. If you have questions as to whether or not you fit the geographic criteria, please contact our gallery manager, Heather Evans. Our call is open to new artists as well as artists who have previously been contracted into The Gallery.

Commission Details

Artists whose proposals are selected will be paid a commission fee of $100 to create their artwork.  Completed artwork will be due to the gallery on March 2, 2021. All commissioned art will be on sale in our gallery with the gallery retaining a 30% revenue in sales and the remaining 70% going to the artist. If artwork is not sold, artists can pick up their work and retain ownership or choose to donate it to the Matthews Opera House & Arts Center.

How to Submit a Proposal

Artists are invited to submit a proposal to our gallery manager, Heather Evans, via email at [email protected] by 5 pm on Thursday, January 28. Please include the following information: 

  • Full name
  • Mailing address 
  • All phone numbers we may use to contact you
  • Valid email
  • Brief description of proposed art as well as how it will relate to the novel “A Wizard of Earthsea” 
    • Sketches and/or examples encouraged 

PLEASE NOTE: Proposals without all the above-listed information will be considered incomplete. Incomplete applications will receive one email response requesting the missing information. If the requested information is not received by 5:00 p.m. MDT on Thursday, January 28th, the application will not be considered for the gallery.

Jurying Process

Proposal jurying will take place Tuesday, February 2 by the Gallery Committee. All artists who have applied will be notified on Thursday, February 4 via email by our gallery manager, Heather Evans, regarding the committee’s decision.

Any and all questions regarding the proposal, jurying process, contract, or other questions pertaining to the call may be submitted to Heather Evans, gallery manager, via phone or email.

Contact Information

Heather Evans
Patron Services & Gallery Manager
Phone: (605) 717-7429 
Email: [email protected]

Our Sponsors

KEVN Black Hills Fox
Holiday Inn
Black Hills Pioneer
  • Great Peaks Realty
  • Spearfish Motors
  • South Dakota Arts Council
  • Great Western Bank
  • Real Estate Center of Spearfish
  • Forcoli & Songs Painting
  • Wolff's Plumbing & Heating
  • DeSmet and Biggs, LLP
  • Lucky's 13 Pub
  • Spearfish
  • Black Hills Salt Cave & Spa
  • Killian's Food & Drink
  • TDG