- This event has passed.
Call for Artists: Accepting Applications through May 14
The Matthews Opera House and Arts Center will be exhibiting the work of contracted artists starting May 31, 2022. This marks the return to regular operations after several months of specialty shows and the Community Art Show. We are excited to once again display the work of Black Hills artists!
Applications are due before 5:00 p.m. MDT on Saturday, May 14th, 2022.
Applications may be submitted via email to [email protected]
Looking for Black Hills Artists
For application purposes, the Black Hills area includes anywhere within South Dakota or Wyoming — approximately one hundred miles from the Black Hills. Our call is open to new artists as well as artists who have previously been contracted by The Matthews.
Applicants will be vetted through a jurying process. During this process, the Exhibits Committee will be assessing applicants based on the quality of work submitted and the needs of the gallery in terms of aesthetic balance and diversity.
Artists are invited to submit an email application to our gallery manager, Kara Carver, including the following information:
- Full name
- Mailing address
- All phone numbers we may use to contact you
- Valid email
- Website address (if the artist has one)
- Facebook or other social media accounts used professionally by the artist are also acceptable
- Three quality JPEG images, each under 5MB, of works you hope to exhibit in the gallery.
- The title, price, and medium of each of the works represented in the JPEG images. All works must be original
- A brief artist statement. It should be no longer than 250 words.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications without all the above-listed information (minus a website) will be considered incomplete. Incomplete applications will receive one email response requesting the missing information. If the requested information is not received by 5:00 p.m. MDT on Tuesday, May 14th, the application will not be considered for the gallery.
Artists may also deliver up to three physical pieces if they believe digital images do not adequately represent their work. This will not take the place of the three JPEG images required in the email application. Those artists delivering physical work will not be favored over artists who only submit digital images.
Jurying will take place on Monday, May 16th, by the Exhibits Committee. All artists who have applied will be notified by Friday, May 20th via email by our gallery manager, Kara Carver, regarding the committee’s decision.
All artists accepted by The Matthews will be required to
- Sign a contract
- Submit a W9
- Submit an artist biography written in third-person to be displayed along with the work
- Submit images to be used on The Matthews website and social media
- Fulfill an artist obligation of the donation of a piece measuring 8″x10″ or equivalent to be sold in The Matthews gift shop. If requested, substrate can be provided by The Matthews.
All sales of the artist’s work in The Matthews are commissionable, with The Matthews retaining 22% of revenue in sales.
Any and all questions regarding the application, jurying process, contract (link below), or other questions pertaining to the call may be submitted to Kara Carver, gallery manager, via phone or email.
Patron Services & Gallery Manager
Phone: (605) 642-7973
Email: [email protected]