- This event has passed.
On Tuesday, November 29, the Matthews Opera House & Arts Center, along with the entire state of South Dakota, will be celebrating South Dakota Day of Giving. This is a day to celebrate all the nonprofits in our state and the incredible work they do! As a 501c3 organization ourselves, we want to thank YOU for supporting us this past year. Whether you have donated money or time, attended a performance, or even just shared one of our posts on social media…..you have helped our mission here at the Matthews Opera House!
South Dakota Day of Giving, affectionately dubbed “Giving Tuesday,” celebrates its fourth year on November 29, when it connects local nonprofits with their supporters through acts of philanthropy. Conceived by South Dakota Gives, Giving Tuesday allows donors to make donations directly to nonprofits like the Matthews with 100% of the funds supporting their chosen organization.
When you invest in the Matthews, you foster creativity, opportunity, and culture in our community.
Here’s a quick snapshot of the programming you helped support in 2022:
- (12) Bellman Brown Brown Bag lectures covering a variety of subjects: everything from history to live piano performances. These events are completely free to attend.
- (10) 3-hour artist workshops led by practicing artists. Not only were these events free to attend but all supplies were provided to participants!
- (33) Author Talks featuring local authors across genres from poetry to self-help to fiction. These events are free to attend with coffee and freshly-baked treats available.
- (120) children registered for the 2022 Froelich Youth Actors Guild children’s theater camp held in June
- (4) gallery exhibit opening receptions
- (6) community theater performances including mainstage shows, a month of reader’s theater, Theater on the Run, and a brand new collaborative performance with the Homestake Opera House and Belle Fourche Community Theater!
- (52) weeks of Open makeSPACE Hours, in which participants are invited to gather in the Matthews Gallery workroom to create and fellowship with other artists, with complete access to donated supplies.
- (14) special events featuring national and international talent including Sierra Ferrell, Eliza Blue, and Sophia Beatty
- The 44th annual Festival in the Park, a Spearfish tradition, and the Matthews largest fundraising event of the year!
In addition to great programming, the Matthews also strives to champion emerging artists and performers, giving them experience and exposure during the first blush of their careers. With the Matthews umbrella covering everything from humanities to visual and performing arts, opportunities are abundant for budding creatives. Through your gifts, we’re able to provide a safe space for artists to create, perform, and exhibit and believe us when we say, some of them are going to be really big!
Did you know ticket sales cover only about 18 percent of the Matthews annual operating expenses?
In recent years, the organization’s annual budget has largely been supplemented by grants, which are becoming increasingly competitive for nonprofits like the Matthews to obtain.
How will your donations help in 2023?
- We hope to expand our current free and equity-based programming, continuing to make the arts available to everyone.
- Our back stairwell is in need of repair due to significant water damage.
- We need a new movie projector in the theater (the current projector is more than 20 years old and no longer reliable).
- Historic preservation means continual interior building maintenance and repairs to our building (such as new carpeting in the lobby and ceiling repairs to remedy cracks).
- We would love to expand opportunities to our local kiddos through the Froelich Young Actors Guild children’s theater camp.
Thank you for Giving! Your gifts of a single day impact our ability to function effectively over the coming year. We are so grateful for your support!