Hey, BHSU Artists!

October 13, 2022

Call for Artists

Calling all creative people at BHSU! Please participate in our BHSU group exhibition, Art at BHSU!  

This exciting upcoming exhibition will celebrate the creativity of ANY BHSU student, staff, and faculty across our campus. Whatever your academic discipline might be, you are welcome to enter this FREE exhibition simply by dropping off your display-ready artwork to the Matthews during the week of November 7-12, 2022!  No fee to enter and open to anyone at BHSU! An opening reception will take place on Friday, November 18 from 5 pm to 7 pm. The exhibition will run through January 6, 2023. Please consider entering 1-2 works of art for this exhibit! Works for sale (HIGHLY recommended!) will receive 78% compensation if sold, with the remaining 22% supporting gallery and art education programming at the Matthews. We welcome painting, drawing, photography, printmaking, three-dimensional work, fiber works, graphic design, etc. Two-dimensional work must be either self-supported with a rigid frame (such as a stretched canvas with at least 1.5″ width) or under plexiglass with a mat and frame. All two-dimensional work must have a wire secured on the back of the frame with metal D-hooks or eyelets for hanging (no clawtooth hangers, string, tape, or other unsupportive hanging material allowed).  

 Need help framing your work? Art Club will be sponsoring a framing information and demonstration session on Monday, October 17 at 5:30 pm in Woodburn 308.  We will have a workshop the following week on Monday, October 24 at 5:30 pm for one-on-one assistance with matting and framing artwork. Note: These dates are the only sessions available for framing assistance!  


• Framing Information session: Monday, October 17 at 5:30 pm in Woodburn 308

• Framing Workshop session: Monday, October 24 at 5:30 pm in Woodburn 308

• Drop off artwork at the Matthews Opera House & Arts Center: November 7-12, 10 am – 5 pm

• Opening reception for Art at BHSU: Friday, November 18, 5-7 pm in the Matthews Gallery

• Pick up artwork at the Matthews Gallery: January 9-14, 2023 (first week of classes of spring semester)

If you have questions regarding this exhibition or submitting artwork, please contact Desy Schoenewies at [email protected].  

Our Sponsors

KEVN Black Hills Fox
Holiday Inn
Black Hills Pioneer
Sanford Underground Research Facility
TDG new logo 2024
  • DeSmet and Biggs, LLP
  • Knecht Home Center
  • Spearfish
  • Pioneer Bank
  • QuikSigns
  • LPL Spearfish Brokerage
  • BHSU Dept of Fine Arts
  • Redwater Kitchen
  • Spearfish Insurance Brokerage
  • Mitchell's Barber Shop
  • Prairie Hills Transit
  • South Dakota Arts Council