Call for Artists
The Matthews Opera House and Arts Center will be exhibiting the work of contracted artists starting May 14, 2019. This marks the return to regular operations after several months of NEA Big Read events and the Community Art Show. We are excited to once again display the work of Black Hills artists.
Applications are due before 5:00 p.m. MDT on Wednesday, May 8th, 2019.
Applications may be submitted via email to [email protected]
Looking for Black Hills Artists
For application purposes, the Black Hills area includes anywhere within South Dakota or Wyoming — approximately one hundred miles from the Black Hills. Our call is open to new artists as well as artists who have previously been contracted by The Matthews.
Through this call, we hope to find forty to fifty artists whose work will be showcased at The Matthews. During the jurying process, the Gallery Committee will be assessing applicants based on the quality of work submitted and the needs of the gallery in terms of aesthetic balance and diversity.
Artists are invited to submit an email application to our gallery manager, Heather Evans, including the following information:
- Full name
- Mailing address
- All phone numbers we may use to contact you
- Valid email
- Website address (if the artist has one)
- Facebook or other social media accounts used professionally by the artist are also acceptable
- Three JPEG images, each under 5MB, of works you hope to exhibit in The Matthews
- The title, price, and medium of each of the works represented in the JPEG images. Please include whether the work is an original, limited edition print, etc.
- A brief artist statement. It should be no longer than 250 words.
PLEASE NOTE: Applications without all the above-listed information (minus a website) will be considered incomplete. Incomplete applications will receive one email response requesting the missing information. If the requested information is not received by 5:00 p.m. MDT on Wednesday, May 8th, the application will not be considered for the gallery.
Artists may also deliver up to three physical pieces if they believe digital images do not adequately represent their work. This will not take the place of the three JPEG images required in the email application. Those artists delivering physical work will not be favored over artists who only submit digital images.
Jurying will take place on Thursday, May 9th, by the Gallery Committee. All artists who have applied will be notified on Friday, May 10th via email by our gallery manager, Heather Evans, regarding the committee’s decision.
All artists accepted by The Matthews will be required to
- Sign a contract
- Submit a W9
- Submit an artist biography to be displayed along with the work
- Submit images to be used on The Matthews website and social media
- Fulfill an artist obligation of either a $50 donation or a donation of the artist’s work valued at $150 to be sold in The Matthews or for fundraising events.
All sales of the artist’s work in The Matthews are commissionable, with The Matthews retaining 35% of revenue in sales.
Any and all questions regarding the application, jurying process, contract (link below), or other questions pertaining to the call may be submitted to Heather Evans, gallery manager, via phone or email.
Patron Services & Gallery Manager
Phone: (605) 642-7973
Email: [email protected]