Artist Opportunities


2024 Summer Art Series

This is an opening for artists of the Black Hills in the South Dakota/Wyoming region to be juried into the non-profit art gallery and sell their artwork. As work sells artists will be asked to provide a replacement to create an evolving exhibit. New opportunities are coming with this year’s exhibit. Artists who are accepted will have the option to have prints available for sale at the Matthews booth during Festival in the Park. 

For application purposes, the Black Hills area includes anywhere within approximately one hundred miles of the Black Hills in South Dakota and Wyoming. This call is open to new artists and artists who have previously been contracted with The Matthews.

To have their work considered, entrants are required to submit three digital images of their art, a brief artist statement, and an application that can be found on the Matthews website or picked up at the gallery. There will be a $20 application fee. Works must be for sale and will receive 70% compensation if sold, with the remaining 30% supporting gallery and art education programming at the Matthews. 

Through this call, The Matthews hopes to find thirty to forty artists whose work will be showcased. During the jurying process, the Gallery Committee will assess applicants based on the quality of work submitted and the gallery’s needs in terms of aesthetic balance and diversity.

Important Dates:

  • Accepting Applications: March 25 – April 19
  • Artist Notification: April 29
  • Intake of Artwork: May 3 – 10
  • Exhibit Opens: May 20
  • Opening Reception: May 24
  • Pick-Up Artwork: September 12 – 20

*Application Link Coming Soon*


2024 Community Art Show

The Matthews Opera House and Art Center is excited to announce its 45th Annual Community Art Show. Once again, the Matthews is opening its doors to artists of all ages and abilities, from amateur to professional, to exhibit their work. This call is open to all artists, age groups, levels, and media. Works created by individuals 18+ must be for sale. Works by artists under 18 are exempt from this rule and may be marked “not for sale.”

Division Fees:

  • Adult (18+): Maximum 3 entries @ $15 each or 3 for $40
  • High School: Maximum 2 entries @ $5 each
  • Grade School: Maximum 1 entries @ $5 each
  • K & Under: Maximum 2 entries @ $5 each

Awards will be given in eight different categories. Winners will be announced at the opening reception and People’s Choice will be announced via social media at the close of the exhibit.

  • Best of Show
  • Peoples Choice
  • Adult 2D
  • Adult 3D
  • High School 2D
  • High School 3D
  • Grade School
  • K & Under

Important Dates:

  • Intake of Artwork: August 26 – 31
  • Exhibit Opens: September 16
  • Opening Reception and Awards: September 20
  • People’s Choice Voting Ends: November 8 @ Noon
  • People Choice Announced: November 8
  • Pick-Up Artwork: November 14 – 23

*Submission Link and More Details Coming Soon*


Beyond the Matthews Gallery

Art Nest Gallery

The Place for All your Art, Gift, and Souvenir Needs

Dahl Art Center

 The Rapid City Arts Council manages the Dahl Arts Center Since 1974. The RCAC’s mission is to champion inclusive, innovative, and inspiring arts opportunities to enrich the communities we serve.

Arts South Dakota

Arts South Dakota provides vital support to our state’s arts sector through communication initiatives, programming, and unified advocacy.

Our Sponsors

KEVN Black Hills Fox
Holiday Inn
Black Hills Pioneer
Sanford Underground Research Facility
TDG new logo 2024
  • DeSmet and Biggs, LLP
  • Spearfish Insurance Brokerage
  • ONEOK
  • Redwater Kitchen
  • LPL Spearfish Brokerage
  • South Dakota Arts Council
  • BHSU Dept of Fine Arts
  • Mitchell's Barber Shop
  • Prairie Hills Transit
  • Pioneer Bank
  • QuikSigns
  • Knecht Home Center
  • Spearfish